(Hong Kong, 15 February, 2017) It’s the start of a new year, and in addition to providing premium petrol and services, Shell is doing even more to promote sustainable development and make the world a better place. Starting today with the launch of the photo competition and mural painting programme “Mak Gor Cheers You Up”, Hong Kong’s favourite service station operator is inviting everyone to join the inaugural Shell x i-dArt “Let’s Make the Future” campaign for a better, more sustainable world.
In this exciting community initiative, Shell and i-dArt, an iclusive art organisation, will collect photos online from members of the public, which convey people’s perceptions of an ideal future. Then, i-dArt artist Mr Mak Wai-hung, or “Mak Gor”, will paint a mural inspired by two selected photos that will be displayed at the Shatin Heights Shell Station convenience store. Participants who submit the selected photos will have a chance to win a HK$500 cash coupon for petrol as well as attractive souvenirs.
As one of the world’s largest energy companies, Shell provides quality petrol products and service for the public and to different industries. Importantly, Shell has also been playing an active role in building a sustainable future.
To kick off the “Let’s Make the Future” campaign 2017, Shell has teamed up with i-dArt under the Tung Wah Group of Hospitals to promote sustainable development and foster community and environmental care. The campaign also enables the public to broaden their knowledge of inclusive arts and show how they would like to envision the future.
i-dArt artist Mak Gor loves to paint portraits. Under his brush strokes, the facial features of his subjects are similar, with little variation in their expressions. But a closer look reveals that each one has their own personality, with unique forms that convey a sense of humour which cannot be easily characterised.
Campaign contributors who want to see the photographic image of their ideal future re-interpreted as a mural painting, replete with rich visual effects rendered with Mak Gor’s unique perspective, can simply upload their photos to i-dArt’s Facebook page and wait for the “LIKE” responses to come in. Those with the most “LIKE” comments will be chosen for the final selection stage, where two photos will be picked as the winners and inspirations for Mak Gor’s mural.
Here’s how to enter:
- Upload your photo with a title to the i-dArt Facebook page (http://bit.ly/2kYxEGD) before 5th March 2017.
- Include a brief introduction for the photo (either in English or Chinese, in 20 words or less).
- The 10 most popular photos that garner the most “LIKE” responses from the public will be selected.
- Finally, Shell Hong Kong and Mak Gor will select two as their favourite photos to serve as the blueprint for the mural painting.
People participating in “Mak Gor Cheers You Up” will have the opportunity to win the following prizes:
- The owners of the two photos that are selected to be used as the blueprint for the mural painting will each be awarded a Shell HK$500 cash coupon for petrol.
- The owners of the 10 photos with the most “LIKE” comments will each be awarded an aircraft model from Shell and their choice of an apron, shopping tote bag or umbrella from i-dArt.