Shell remains as BMW’s recommended oil supplier
Sep 06, 2018
Shell-produced premium engine oils to be used for BMW service-fills until 2022
Shell today has officially renewed its status as BMW AG’s only recommended supplier for aftermarket engine oils in Hong Kong and Macau for a further three years till end 2022 for all BMW Group brands; BMW, BMW i, BMW M, MINI, BMW Motorrad and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars.
The three-year extension will mean that premium BMW engine oils manufactured by Shell will continue to be available to customers at BMW’s dealer network in Hong Kong and Macau.
This collaboration means that Shell will continue to produce and supply’s BMW’s branded engine oils, which meet the latest BMW engine specifications. These oils will feature Shell’s PurePlus Technology, a breakthrough technology where base oil is produced using a patented process in which natural gas is converted to base oil, also known as gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology.
“We are very honoured to work with BMW and supply them with premium engine oils featuring our cutting-edge technology. We look forward to further strengthen the collaboration as we move forward in our commercial and technical relationships,” said Patrick Carré, Vice President Global Key Accounts of Shell Global Commercial.
Frandy Chu, External Relations General Manager
+852 2506 7127
Notes to Editors:
- BMW Group brands include BMW, BMW M, BMW I, BMW Motorrad, MINI and Rolls Royce Motor Cars.
- Aftermarket or service-fill oils refers to any oils put in any vehicles such as a car or motorcycle, during the after-sales service for the general upkeep of a vehicle in its lifetime.
- Genuine (parts) Engine Oils are OEM owned branded oils such as Original BMW, Motorrad and MINI Engine Oils. They are specially formulated to meet specific needs of a given OEMs different vehicle components.
- The motor oil industry is moving towards increased use of synthetic oils over mineral oils because of the improved performance benefits offered in line with stringent emission regulations and fuel efficiency demands. Synthetic oils are manufactured from crude oil or gas using advanced chemical processes. This is in contrast to mineral base oils, which are complex mixtures of naturally occurring hydrocarbons found in crude oil.
- Base oil produced using Shell PurePlus Technology is a high-quality API Group III synthetic base oil. This innovative component provides a superior molecular structure which can help to: extend engine life, reduce maintenance costs, reduce oil consumption, maintain fuel economy and enable better cleanliness.
- Shell’s world-class engine oil technology has enabled the development of oils that improve performance, help to improve fuel economy and extend engine life. Oils with lower viscosity can help lower fuel consumption, but they must also provide the right levels of engine protection and durability. Premium engine oils, containing Shell PurePlus Technology and proprietary advanced additive technology, are specifically designed to allow drivers to get the most from their modern engines.
- Shell provides global accessibility to its leading products with a strong global lubricants supply chain network of 4 base oil manufacturing plants, 50 lubricant and grease manufacturing plants. To provide Shell PurePlus Technology enabled motor oils around the world, Shell integrated its supply chain with its gas value chain in Pearl GTL, Qatar. This world-scale facility is the largest source of GTL products and the only commercial source of GTL base oil today.