Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) is a cleaner-burning fuel with high combustion efficiency which means it is less harmful to the environment and your health.
Discover our range of alternative fuels for motorists including Liquid Petroleum Gas and Shell FuelSave Diesel B5.
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
Shell FuelSave Diesel B5
Shell FuelSave Diesel B5 is formulated with Active Efficiency Ingredients and contains up to 5% volume of biodiesel (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester, FAME).
In light duty vehicles (e.g. passenger cars and vans), it is designed to:
- improve engine efficiency from the very first tank*
- help improve fuel economy by igniting and burning more effectively*
- help prevent the build-up of injector deposits
In heavy duty vehicles (e.g. trucks and busses), it is designed to:
- save fuel over the lifetime of the vehicle*
- protect against the build-up of injector deposits, thereby helping to improve engine efficiency
- help prevent fuel system corrosion
- help prevent foaming when refueling
*Comparison between a standard diesel and that same standard diesel of the same bio-content containing our fuel economy formula. Savings may vary according to vehicle, driving conditions and driving style.
What is biodiesel?
Biodiesel (or FAME) is a type of diesel fuel that is made from vegetable or animal oil rather than fossil crude oil. FAME stands for Fatty Acid Methyl Ester and is produced via transesterification, a chemical transformation, of vegetable oils (e.g. rapeseed, soy, used cooking oil, etc.) into their corresponding esters.
Until that transformation takes place, cooking oils and other vegetable oils are simply the feedstock for biodiesel production. As such they are unsuitable for use as vehicle fuels.
Why use biodiesel?
- Can help lower ‘well-to-wheel’ CO2, and provide a sustainable alternative to conventional diesel*;
- Helps diversify the liquid road transport fuel pool;
- Can help improve energy security – particularly when domestic raw or waste materials are used which are produced sustainably;
- OEMs generally accept biodiesel blends up to B7 as part of the European specification for diesel fuel, EN590.
*Depends on several factors, such as how the raw materials for biodiesel production are produced.
Remark: Shell FuelSave Diesel B5 is currently open to businesses only
More in Shell fuels
You may also be interested in
Small changes in your driving style can save a lot of fuel. Follow our tips and learn how to go further for less.
Follow the advice of Don Palmer and you could become a better, safer driver.
Discover our range of world-class lubricants and the technological insights that lead to their formulation.